Restauratie Lakenhallen

How it began...

The stately Cloth Halls on Ypres ' Grote Markt are now home to the city's Tourist Office, the Yper Museum and the In Flanders Fields Museum.

The first mentions of the Ypres Cloth Halls date back to 1173: Halla where cloth was traded.
Construction as we know the building today starts around 1250 and lasts until 1378.
During the Middle Ages, the importance of the Cloth Hall grows and Ypres grows as a cloth city.

The building was completely destroyed during the First World War.
The Ypres people, together with architect Jules Coomans, decided after the war to completely restore their city, including the Cloth Halls.
These works were completed in 1967.

(read more below the photo)

##photo-633##

Autumn 2020.

In October, the first scaffolding is erected on the Grote Markt in Ypres. The belfry disappears into a steel frame for a thorough polishing and repair.
In December, dragon Margriet disappears from the top of the belfry and also receives a full restoration.
That same month, the inner top structure, the lantern, will also be removed.

(Continue reading below the photos.)



Spring 2021.

The bells of the belfry will also be removed so the restoration can proceed smoothly.
Among other things, the bells will be given a place near the library and archives, where everyone can admire them up close.
The scaffolding construction will then be completely finished.

(continue reading below the photos)

##photo-1516## ##photo-1515## ##photo-1511##

Summer and Fall 2021.

On the last day of summer vacation, a brand new lantern is hoisted back into the tower.
The restored dormer will follow at the end of October.
An impressive crane, which can easily reach above the top of the belfry, will be used each time for this.

(continue reading below the photos)

December 2021.

A celebratory moment: dragon Marguerite is finished. In her belly is a time capsule, with a poem by Ivan Vanherpe.
From now on, she watches over the city once again.

(read more below the photos)

##photo-1504## ##photo-1501## ##photo-1499##

Spring 2022

In early February, all the scaffolding from around the belfry tower was taken down.
The belfry shines like new.
As the west wing disappears into the scaffolding, Minister Diependaele of Real Estate Heritage comes to Ypres for an official opening.

(read more below the photos)

##photo-1500## ##photo-1496##

Hundreds of sculptures

The Cloth Halls are decorated with hundreds of statues: heads of people, animals and symbolic elements. For the past 60 years, these have been exposed to the weather elements daily, leaving their mark.

(Continue reading below the photos)

##photo-1503## ##photo-1498## ##photo-1494## ##photo-1493## ##photo-1493##

Clear results

The people at Group Monument are professionals.
After the restoration, the statues look stunning, like new.

(Continue reading below the photos)

Switching sides

In the second half of March 2023, the scaffolding on the west wing will be torn down and moved to the side of the building.
It is immediately clear that the restoration is yielding visible results.

After finishing the west wing, the other side of the Cloth Halls will disappear into scaffolding and the entrance to the In Flanders Fields Museum will also be addressed in 2024.
The works are progressing smoothly and in the spring of 2024 the final phase of the works on the front will be inaugurated: the Nieuwerck.
These works will last until June 2025.

On June 18, 2025, the last scaffolding on the Grand Place side will be removed.
You can see the result in the last photo.

##photo-1497## ##photo-1490## ##photo-1491##

The result in June 2025

to top